Saturday, February 18, 2012

Don't let the title go to your head

We have all had our own experiences with those teachers who seem less than that very title and instead, seem to be imagining themselves in total charge, with a crown on their head--the students serving as the lower class. This idea popped into my head while I was eating lunch after a rough start to my morning. In one of my required classes not even relevant to my major, the teacher decided to randomly punish those students (myself included having had to walk from Vincent to Carruth Rizza) who put their coats on at 10:49 (the class was over at 10:50 mind you). We had been working on a handout and the teacher hadn't even been formally addressing us where packing up could had been seen as rude. Now, I fully understand that as it is a professor's choice to do as he or she pleases in the classroom, yet I don't feel that under the circumstance this was at all fair to take role at the end of the period, marking those ready to leave absent. This wouldn't be such an irritation if we hadn't had a quiz in the beginning of the class which obviously would only count if we had been present--the mark of absence on the sheet stating otherwise--or if it was a class where absences were allowed. We had all got up to attend class, we had done our work and had participated during class time so why then should we be marked absent for preparing to exit the room? This is more or less a rant, but I truly have always felt that some teachers let the power go to their heads and take out a bad day on the students. I definitely wouldn't want students packing up when I am speaking, but if I hadn't been teaching and the students were done with their work and had a far walk within the ten minute span, I wouldn't see it as an issue.

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree. I had a professor last semester that literally went on a tirade when we started putting away papers with a minute to go, and thus the tirade went on well after the class was supposed to be over, which I guess was our punishment. Having an atmosphere of respect is one thing. Confusing fear for respect is a common occurrence from teachers I think, and it's time we took the initiative to relate to the students in ways that allow mutual respect without it being a totalitarian relationship

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. A teacher should know how to handle emotions or realize that sometimes students are in a rush to get somewhere as in your case. If a teacher is going to be successful in a classroom, those emotions need to be held back or else the students will develop a hatred and nothing will be accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I completely agree as well. I also see how it can be rude if the teacher is still talking (although if there is only one minute to go they should be wrapping up the class anyways). Students are PEOPLE too; I think so many teachers forget that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand how you all feel. Like any other career, a teacher really needs to check feelings at the door, and not take it out on the class. I think it's really the teacher's level of insecurity that led him or her to launch a tirade. As a teacher, it does get a little frustrating to see everyone wrap up sometimes, but I stop and think "they have to get somewhere" and "they got the gist of today, didn't they?" It's really not worth mentioning anything as it will just tune the students out. But if you do choose to say something, keep emotions out of it.

    ReplyDelete