Wednesday, February 8, 2012

"Don't be a teacher..."


     I can’t quite express how baffled I become every time (which is quite often) I hear this phrase: “Don’t become a teacher.” This notion was put into my head once again as I was attentively listening to my professor ironically discuss a news story with the class of additional teachers getting laid off. Following the conversation, he stated: "Well, good luck with that"...clearly directed to the prospective teachers in the room whom in the eyes of those on the outside looking in at all of “us” cannot seem to wrap their heads around the importance we future teachers will have on all of “them.”
     Instances such as this have a tendency to occur on more occasions than one. I remember a particular time at work when a man who had been a substitute teacher at my high school asked what I was majoring in. I responded with secondary education in English. The look of disgust on his face would have made someone believe he had just smelled something foul. This time, the words with little encouragement were even stronger than before. With all sincerity he told me to seriously reevaluate my career choice and possibly think of switching to business. Business?!? No, thank you. (Unfortunately, now more than ever the educational system is leaning more towards a business outlook)
     Additionally, I can recall a middle-aged man hovering by the counter of the store where I also work. Making his way towards the door ready to exit, he stopped to pose a question. Obviously, given the nature of this post you can all assume that he had asked about my plans for the future. I hesitantly answered, almost certain of the response I would receive. Like clockwork, the individual pushed his opinion on me blabbering of how the next generation is hopeless and it is impossible to teach them anything.
     So this is why I decided to write this blog. Why does it seem that everyone has to take the little knowledge they know about the educational system and act as if it applies to the bigger picture? Yes, I understand that it is going to be a challenge getting a teaching job, even more so in Pennsylvania. But guess what… I have no problem moving! Furthermore, to all of the people who believe coming generations are “hopeless,” students CAN and WILL learn things. They certainly don't need people telling them they can't, making it that much more of a challenge when they are constantly discouraged. After all there would be no future without teachers. We teach the scientists, the accountants and yes, even the business men and women.
                                         

2 comments:

  1. Rachel,
    I have had many similar experiences as I am sure everyone in the class has encountered at least one person who is baffled by those who wish to teach. As a future teacher I think it is important to take their doubt or uncertainty and replace it with hope for our students and faith in ourselves as educators. The people who do not understand why we would want to go into the field of education has never seen the face of a student who finally gets it or heard the brilliant things that students can come up with. I think you will be a fabulous teacher as long as you do not let the words of the "non believers" get in your head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rach,

    I love this! I have had similar experiences happen to me many times. My favorite is when people say, "Well you won't be able to live around here, you know that right? Ready to move?" Yes, yes I am! I agree with you 100%- you want me to major in something else? There are still TEACHERS teaching that major! Teaching is a job that can never be replaced. Education is so incredibly important and valued in our society, I love that we will be able to be a part of teaching those "hopeless generations." By the way... didn't they say that about us too? And Danny in Grease? And Ren in Footloose? There are always troublesome generations, but there are also ALWAYS teachers there to teach them. Challenge accepted.

    ReplyDelete